Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas Confession: No Surprises

My parents are asleep and I finished putting bows on the boxes and spreading them under the tree, and I can't help it:

I prefer the gifts wrapped.

I prefer looking at them, spread beautifully under the tree. I'm old but I can still pretend that one of the boxes filled with socks (or some other necessity that I happened to need in December) is actually some sort of surprise. Even though I'm the one who put the gifts under the tree because my parents were tired, I can pretend that somebody slipped another box under the tree with my name on it that I just haven't seen yet.

I don't want to sound spoiled--we are fortunate to have money to buy presents and I am all too aware of that. I just wish this wasn't a holiday that revolved around material goods. Until my family stopped being the fun type of dysfunctional, I always adored Thanksgiving. It was always like Christmas without the presents. Now that my family can't seem to figure things out anymore, none of the holidays are what they used to be.

No comments: