Monday, March 2, 2009

Some people are constantly plagued by bad ideas.

Let’s start a few weeks back. I blame all of this on wikihow. They featured a post on how to dye hair using koolaid and conditioner. I read the article and turned to my roommate and told her she was going to have to help me try this on my hair. She told me that it wasn’t a good idea. Because she was probably right, I did the natural thing and asked somebody else.
Sarah immediately agreed that it was a great idea. We got Edyna on board, too, and the next thing I knew we were in the grocery store at 11pm, trying to find koolaid. Unfortunately, they didn’t have any. I decided that jello would work just as well as koolaid, which spawned this conversation:
Sarah: I think I want to dye my hair with blackberry
Me (impatiently): Are you picking the color based on which flavor you like best? Go with grape or cherry.
Sarah: I’m not going for the Fulbright scholarship- I’m dying my hair with Jello
After purchasing a few boxes of purple and blue jello, as well as a box of food coloring, we headed back to try the dyes. We left the homemade dyes in for 30 minutes, and none worked.

Which brings me to last night.
My roommate got snowed in at home, leaving me to my own devices for another night. As I brushed my teeth, I marveled at how silly it was that I had bought a box of gel food color tubes by accident (I thought they were tubes of icing.) I wondered when I would possibly need those again.

And then, it struck me.

Even though the food coloring didn’t work the first time, maybe it would work on the second try! (Functioning definition of insanity [can’t remember who told me this anymore]: trying the exact same thing multiple times, expecting different results.) I rushed back to my room and dumped the contents of the blue tube into the palm of my hand. I rubbed it through a large chunk of hair. Using a zip lock bag and a rubber band I found on the floor, I secured the dye into a neat little package. Unsure what to do next, I pulled the rest of my hair into a braid, and then tucked the braid and the zip lock wrapped piece into a pair of underwear.
It didn’t work. Again. Surprised?




Figure 1: Sarah and Edyna, during attempt #1 using grape jello

No comments: